Theraplay® is a child and family modality of play therapy for building and enhancing attachment, self-esteem, trust in others, and joyful engagement. This four-day training is designed to teach participants the fundamentals of the Theraplay model. After completing this training, participants will be able to begin applying Theraplay principles into their work with existing and new clients.
– Principles of attachment theory on an intellectual and experiential level
– The Four Dimensions of Theraplay
– The Theraplay protocol
– An introduction to the Marschak Interaction Method (MIM): administration, analysis and as a guide for treatment planning
– Adapting Theraplay for working with children and families impacted by complex trauma and other populations
– Managing resistance throughout the treatment process
– Managing countertransference in your work with children and families
– Implementing Theraplay into your practice
Learning Objectives for Level One Theraplay & MIM:
– Administer the MIM and analyze it at a beginning level.
– List 3 goals to be achieved during a MIM feedback session with parents.
– Utilize the MIM as a guide for treatment planning.
– Describe the four dimensions of Theraplay, a modality of play therapy.
– Demonstrate one activity from each dimension: Structure, Engagement, Nurture and Challenge.
– Describe 3 possible ways of adapting Theraplay treatment to meet the needs of a child with complex trauma.
– Describe how to guide parents to participate in a Theraplay treatment session.